The North Dakota Governor's Residence is the home of North
Located in the southwestern corner of the
North Dakota State Capitol grounds. Its the 2nd official
residence that was built for North Dakota's governor.
The original governor's mansion was built in 1884 which
served as a private home for Bismarck businessman Asa Fisher. Fisher
built his home in Edwinton (Bismarck) in 1872
and made his fortune
in banking, real estate and liquor sales. In 1893, the house was
to the state for $5000.
The house was used as the governor's residence from 1893-1960
and was the home of
20 North Dakota governors. In 1975, the State Legislature
passed House Bill 1315 which transferred ownership to the State
Historical Society of North Dakota. The house was renovated to
look like it did in 1893 and opened to the public as a North
Dakota State Historic Site in 1983.
In 1975 the State Historical Society of North Dakota was
given the house with the hope
that it would operate as a historic house museum. Extensive
research and restoration
has been completed, restoring the house to its former
appearance as it might have been
in 1893. Throughout the house are restoration features which
are highlighted to show
visitors what work has been done. These features include
samples of wallpaper that
have been exposed to indicate changes in style and taste.
The North Dakota legislature approved a house bill in 1955 that
provided $200,000 for
the creation of a brand new residence for
the governor because the earlier mansion was
in shambles. In
1959, construction began and was completed in 1960.
Former North Dakota Governor John Davis was the last North
Dakota Governor to live in the mansion as well as the first to
live in the newly built one. A complete remodel of most of the
residence was completed in 2000.